Hello! Sorry I fell off the face of the earth for a few weeks. Happy belated Thanksgiving! I caught a horrible cold, and didn’t do much over the long weekend, other than bake bread and make soup.
It’s turkey/ chicken spinach soup. I totally made it up. It’s amazing.
Perfect for a chilly December. Well, I suppose it’s perfect for this temperate December that we’re having.
Turkey/ Chicken and spinach soup
- 8 cups of water
- Chicken carcas and neck and inards
- 3 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 large turnip, cut up into chunks
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 6 black whole peppercorn
- 1 tbsp savory seasoning mix
- 2 tbsp salt (I used sea salt with dried shallots
Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to boil, and then bring down to a simmer. Simmer for 2-3 hours or until delicious. When it’s done, strain out the solids. (A pasta pot with a strainer that fits right into the pot is fabulous for this task. If you want a more clear broth use a finer strainer or cheese cloth) I retained some of the vegetables to make the puree to thicken the soup. Return your broth to the stove to prepare your soup!
- A pot of Chicken broth (6 cups homemade or 32oz store bought)
- 3 Carrots thinly sliced
- 1 pound of spinach chopped into 1″ squares
- 3-4 cups cooked turkey or chicken (I used leftovers)
- 1 12 oz can of white kidney beans
- 1 8oz can of Butter beans
- 2c. pureed cooked turnip
Heat stock, and add carrots, turkey/ chicken, beans, pureed turnip, beans, and salt. Heat for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
I also made Italian Bread from Smitten Kitchen. This was the best bread I’ve ever made. It was amazing. You have to make biga the day beforehand. I had originally needed it to make potato rosemary bread for Thanksgiving. The potato rosemary bread was very good, but nowhere as good as the Italian Bread!
Perfect for a chilly december week!